Wednesday, April 1, 2009

far away...

I've heard through various sources that it snowed at home last night - yuck. Life here is sort of on the other end of the spectrum, it was 96 here today and uncomfortably humid. In the midst of the morning heat, I checked my email and saw a message from Tory updating me on Katherine Olson's trial. Her killer was sentenced to life in prison with no parole today. As I read through the Star Tribune article, I couldn't stop crying. I couldn't stop aching for her family, can't imagine what they're feeling. From all I have seen they have moved through this situation with faith and grace and extreme love for their gorgeous, curly headed daughter. It's strange to be in such a different place when things like this happen; Katherine's name doesn't mean anything to people here. Which is probably why my emotions about it get bottled and then more drastically released.

It snowed at home last night and I woke up sweating today; I can feel so far away, so disconnected. I've let myself fall out of touch with many lately, and I apologize for doing so. A phone call with my parents last night and the email from Tory today remind me how good it feels to reconnect with home. I'm more conscious today that, to a certain extent, I can be in control of how 'far away' I feel. And I'd like to choose to be closer - a new goal, of sorts. I am so grateful for the people who remind me how life-giving home can be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the entry. Also 94 degrees in Cuernavaca. Semana Santa gives us welcome relief from the relentless schedule. Have to correct papers, but can do it at my own time. Had a great week of exchange with UNAM students! Thinking of you.
Naurine