Monday, March 23, 2009

marañones...

I was going through pictures and found this snapshot of a cashew tree. I took it in El Salvador during a rural stay with the intention of posting it, but never got around to it. Perhaps you're already well-acquainted with the cashew tree - but I was shocked to see that this is how marañones (cashews) grow!

The red part is a fruit that can be used to make juice, wine or jelly. The nut that we buy at home is encased in a thick shell (seen at the bottom, the gray part). I was at the point of biting into it to see if I could break it open (since my nails weren't working) and my coworker enlightened me that the shell contains the same skin irritant as poison ivy. Crisis averted! Thought I'd share in case you ever find a cashew fruit in your hand and you consider biting into it.

4 comments:

Dee said...

Need-to-know info! Who knew cashews grew or looked like that or had such a nasty shell? Thanks for passing it along (might need it someday). Mom

Anonymous said...

Marañones....

Anonymous said...

My brother didn't get warned when he was somewhere with cashew trees. He loves the nuts and went to work getting them out of the shells. Wound up with terrible rash. I don't remember whether he was hospitalized, but it really cut into his vacation. Lucky you to have a watchful friend. It's a pretty picture. Naurine

Kate said...

I just thought you should know, my jaw dropped when I read that. I had no idea!!