Thursday, March 5, 2009

Un pacto de amor...

Debemos hacer algo en esta tierra
Porque en este planeta nos parieron
Y hay que arreglar las cosas de los hombres
Porque no somos pajaros ni perros


We should do something on this earth

Because we were delivered to this planet
And we must set right the things of men
Because we are neither birds nor dogs.


Y bien, si cuando ataco lo que odio

O cuando canto a todos los que quiero
La poesia quiere abandonar
Las esperanzas de mi manifesto,
Yo sigo con las tablas de mi ley
Acumulando estrellas y armamentos


And so, if when I attack what I hate,
Or when I sing to those I love,
Poetry wants to abandon
The hopes of my manifesto,

I’ll follow the letter of my law
Accumulating stars and armaments

Y en el Duro deber americano
No me importa una rosa mas o menos;
Tengo un pacto de amor con la hermosura
Tengo un pacto de sangre con mi pueblo.

And in my steadfast duty to america
One more or one less rose does not matter;
I have a pact of love with beauty
I have a pact of blood with my people.

- Pablo Neruda, No Me Lo Pides/Do Not Ask Me

5 comments:

Dee said...

Rebekah,this is powerful and your use of Spanish/English and pictures effective. Thanks for sharing it.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Simplemente un pacto de amor!!! Pablo Neruda...

Ruben Rodriguez said...

Rebekah, me encanta leer tu blog... es muy interesante. Estoy empezando a escribir en mi blog, pero realmente no le entiendo mucho a esta cosa.

Que estes bien! xoxoxoxox

Korla said...

Rebekah,

1) What an fantastic poem. Thank you for sharing it.
2) Your Freire quote also lives on my bedroom wall (in the form of a poster by Ricard Levins Morales).
3) I really like the photo from the road between the mountain school and Fatima.
4) The elections are tomorrow. Wow. Be safe, tell us about them if you're able. This is as historic as ours was just a few months ago!
5) I love you and miss you so much! Be well, mama.

Oscar E. Pech Lara said...

Gracias por compartir este bello poema. Había leído fragmentos, versos de este poema, citados en diferentes textos. hasta ahora, muchos años después, tengo una visión global del poema. Muchas gracias por compartir. Que Dios fructifique tus esfuerzos por hacer de este mundo un lugar mejor, "porque no somos pájaros ni perros". Gracias nuevamente:

OP