Wednesday, October 1, 2008

share your food

I was gifted with a new spin on an old story in class today.

Peggy was talking about the 'Jesus feeds the 5000' story and pressing us to think on it in new ways - to consider the idea that perhaps Jesus didn't magically duplicate the fish and bread, but that rather he convinced the few who had food to share it with the many, and that in his presence people were encouraged not to consume more than they needed.

And if you think about an angry hungry mob (or any society based on consumption), and then think about what he pulled off - this perspective seems far more impressive to me than the traditional one with which I grew up. What kind of a personality would it take to pull that off?

I don't present this example to be 'blasphemous' - or say that Jesus couldn't have magically duplicated the food. But I know that I'll never pull loaves out of a hat; however, I can learn from and work toward this new example. I feel closer to and more encouraged by a Jesus who organized the masses without magic and somehow got the simple "share your food" message across to the few who had much. And "they all ate and were satisfied" - Luke 9:17

No comments: