Thursday, October 22, 2009

give us roses...


"Hearts can starve as well as bodies, give us bread, and give us roses!"

- Utah Philips, Ani de Franco

Amid packing, and final projects and an intense Yankees game, we're wrapping up the program in El Salvador. This last week has involved chances to speak with different organizations working with women's issues, the environment and neoliberalism. I've learned a great deal - and would love to write about some of those things (perhaps I will a bit later) but tonight I'm just signing in to say that it hasn't all been heavy.

We've made time for a bit of fun - we got to go to a futbol game last week (El Sal v. Honduras - Honduras won and qualified for the World Cup) and bowling in a pre-celebration for a student's birthday. And, I am blessed enough to have a great deal to look forward to - my family arrives in Nicaragua in a few short days! I get to spend my vacation soaking in their presence and showing them around country that has become very important to me. Amid all of the weight of the issues among us and the change that's necessary - I'm grateful to have moments to lighten things a little, moments of hope with speakers, moments to remember all of the good that continues to bless me.

1 comment:

tory said...

yay for your family coming!