Saturday, May 2, 2009

students' last few weeks...

It has been far to long since I've posted and I apologize for letting time slip. I forget sometimes that people are actually checking, but a dear friend wrote this morning, encouraging me to write something - so here I am!

We returned from the countryside and headed into our last few weeks of programming with the semester students. As much as people have talked about being homesick and being excited to be home throughout the semester, the end approaches and the fact that being home means they will no longer be here becomes much more of a reality. It's been fun to watch students, with that realization, really take advantage of time with their host families and see much more of the country.

This last week has been a bit strange - what with the flu scare and all. It seems both scary and maddening to me to watch the news, not being sure how much is just alarmist media and yet being very concerned for loved ones in Mexico. It has also given me new perspective on living in a 3rd world country in the midst of something like this. Were I at home, I don't know that I'd worry, I have faith that if I got sick, they could treat me and I'd recover. But Nicaraguan hospitals are painfully lacking in resources; this just isn't a good place to get sick.

Last week also included incredibly sad news - a friend in Mexico was murdered. Reasons for the murder are unclear and I only hope that, among the current chaos there, space is made for people to grieve this enormous loss. Here in Managua, I'm taking the space I need and am ever impressed with all of the ways that my work team here supports me emotionally. For now, I'm taking time to rest, to be in touch with people at home and in Mexico and...from now on, to blog a little more often :) As always, thanks so much for checking in.

No comments: